Television may still be considered the first screen in many people’s lives, with desktop computers ranked second and mobile smartphones lagging in third. But, in many cases, the mobile phone is quickly charging into the lead. In Japan, 96% of the population is equipped for mobile Internet activity, according a recent Morgan Stanley report detailing the “State of the Internet.” The average iPhone is used 45% of the time for voice functions, while the remaining 55% of activity centers on data. This is pushing carrier networks to increase data bandwidth, as the demand for mobile data spirals. In fact, Morgan Stanley’s report estimates that mobile data traffic will increase almost 4,000% by 2014. That’s just around the corner, folks.